The Kids

The Kids
May 2014

Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Mission

     "Everyone wants to save the world, but no one wants to help Mom with the dishes." I often find that I struggle with my identity since I became a stay-at-home mom.  When I was working I had a sense of purpose and accomplishment that I have not been able to find at home.  Several months ago a friend of mine shared the blog post Motherhood as a Mission Field by Rachel Jankovic with me.  I have read this post many times as I try to adjust my thinking and accept what God has for me during this time.
     I have included the last section of her article below.  Reading this helps me refocus on what is important and develop a new understanding of who I am in the role God has given me.


Gain What You Cannot Lose in Them
So, if mothers are strategically situated to impact missions so greatly, why do we see so little coming from it?  I think the answer to this is quite simple: sin. Discontent, pettiness, selfishness, resentment. Christians often feel like the right thing to do is to be ashamed about what we have. We hear that quote of Jim Elliot’s and think that we ought to sell our homes and move to some place where they need the gospel.
But I’d like to challenge you to look at it differently. Giving up what you cannot keep does not mean giving up your home, or your job so you can go serve somewhere else. It is giving up yourself. Lay yourself down. Sacrifice yourself here, now. Cheerfully wipe the nose for the fiftieth time today. Make dinner again for the people who don’t like the green beans. Laugh when your plans are thwarted by a vomiting child. Lay yourself down for the people here with you, the people who annoy you, the people who get in your way, the people who take up so much of your time that you can’t read anymore. Rejoice in them. Sacrifice for them. Gain that which you cannot lose in them.
It is easy to think you have a heart for orphans on the other side of the world, but if you spend your time at home resenting the imposition your children are on you, you do not. You cannot have a heart for the gospel and a fussiness about your life at the same time. You will never make any difference there if you cannot be at peace here. You cannot have a heart for missions, but not for the people around you. A true love of the gospel overflows and overpowers. It will be in everything you do, however drab, however simple, however repetitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment