The Kids

The Kids
May 2014

Monday, November 10, 2014

We Have Chicks

The first little yellow puff ball is Omelet.  The one with the cool markings is Popcorn.  My son's dark chick is Ninja.  The other yellow puff ball is Mrs. Cluckers.

     I have been amazed at how docile the chicks are and how much entertainment they provide.  We all enjoy watching them run around the chicken box and climb all over each other.  The two yellow ones look identical so, I drew a line down the back of Mrs. Cluckers with a washable marker.  I am not sure why it is important that we can tell them apart, other than we don't want to offend one by calling it the wrong name. lol
     The yellow ones are actually buff orpingtons.  These are considered to be good all around farm birds that are medium egg producers (4-5 a week) and that bulk up some so when the time comes there is some meat on their bones.  The main reason I selected this breed is because they are known as docile and friendly birds.  So far this is very true for the ones we have.  They also seem a little more intelligent than the darker birds.
     The darker birds are amerucaunas.  These are considered to be laying hens and will produce 5-6 eggs a week, however, they don't bulk up much.  Their temperament varies widely from bird to bird.  We are convinced that Popcorn has ADHD.  Ninja likes to snuggle with another chick, when she sleeps.  I selected this breed because one of my friends recommended them and they lay blue eggs.



No comments:

Post a Comment