I don't spend much time contemplating the end times. There are a lot of people who seem overly concerned about how things will end. If you are interested in it there are a lot of books written on the topic from all different perspectives. It has just never interested me. I have no control or influence over the events that will occur therefore spending time researching and debating them seemed pointless.
However, last week my husband made an interesting point that has given me a new perspective on a part of this. Revelations 20:11-15 talks about The Great White Throne Judgement, this is the final judgement that occurs just before God sets up a new heaven and a new earth. His point was that the reason God will not pass judgement over people until the very end is that our lives are not complete until then. Even after death, many people live on through the influence that they had on others.
Things like alcoholism and racism can spread from one generation to the next. Hitler has been dead for nearly 70 years, but he left a lasting legacy of hate. On the other hand, things like compassion, generosity, and service can also spread from one generation to the next. Mother Teresa died 15 years ago but is still inspiring people to care for others. Those who found or lead organizations can easily find themselves influencing hundreds or thousands of people who go on to influence even more.
As a teacher, my goal was to convince my students that they had what it took to make it through high school. I was focused on the impact that would have on their lives but never really considered the effect on their children or grandchildren. I was also a small part of the that influence as it takes many dedicated teachers to get a child through school.
I think we often under estimate the scope of our influence because we do not have an eternal perspective. Most of my days are spent just trying to get through my ever lengthening to-do list while managing three kids. However, I think it is important to occasionally step back and see that there is a bigger picture and the little things we do each day can create a lasting influence.
No comments:
Post a Comment