A few weeks ago I travel to Texas to visit friends and family. While there I was telling Mema, my husband's grandmother, about the chickens. She was surprised we were keeping them inside. I explained that it was just temporary and that they would be moved to the garage then outside once they were old enough to handle the cooler temperatures.
She said, "When I was young, my mom got some chicks and let me have one. That chicken stayed with me all the time and would follow me from room to room through the house. Until Mom got tired of it and it became dinner. You let those chicks stay in the house and you will never keep them out of it. Every time you open the door, they will be running inside."
Although I loved the story, I didn't worry much about the chickens coming back inside because we are not going to let them free-range. They will be confined to a coop and run most of the time, so they won't have much opportunity to sneak back in.
Last week we moved the chickens out to the garage. Less than 48 hours later I went to the laundry room and saw this....
We don't have a cat and have never paid any attention to the cat door that is in the door to the garage. However, the chickens have found it rather convenient. The chicken wire we are using as a lid for their box doesn't fit as securely on the larger box tin the garage so every few days we find a chicken in the laundry room. Apparently, Mema was right and they will be sneaking into the house at least until we get the coop and run built.

No comments:
Post a Comment