The Kids

The Kids
May 2014

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

August 21

    I got a letter from OFSET (no idea what that stands for) today, informing me that I must attend a meeting on September 2nd.  As part of being on SNAP (food assistance), I was referred to them for employment help.  The letter said that anyone caring for a child under 6 would be excused from this requirement.  However, when I called I was told that since there are two adults in the house one of us must participate.  Instead of throwing my husband under the bus, I will be going to the meeting.  It will be better for me to do these meetings and give my husband the time he needs to focus on support raising.
     The letter was a form letter but it was full of a lot of threatening language which I found really offensive for a first letter.  Not to mention we don’t start getting benefits until Sept. 6 but they are threatening to take them away if we don’t meet on the 2nd.  I also understand that there is a real need to help people with resumes and job searches to limit the amount of time they need government assistance.  However, shouldn’t we get at least one month to try and get our feet back under us and make a game plan before the government pays someone to do it for us.
     The other problem is that they require you to accept any job offered to you while working with them.  That statement scares me because I don’t want just any job, especially if that job doesn’t pay the bills.  Not to mention I homeschool our kids so I really don’t want a job that has me out of the house all day every day.  

     Hopefully once I get there and talk with someone, they will be completely understanding and willing to give us at least one month to see if the fund raising thing can work for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment